Salient Features of the Project
|Grant / Loan Numbers||TF Loan 13557 & TF Grant 13665|
|Project Implementation Start Date||1 March 2013|
|Effectiveness Date||20 June 2013|
|Project Implementation End Date||30 July 2018|
|Expected Closing Date||30 Nov 2018|
|Borrower||Government of Nepal|
|Responsible Agency (for components A, B, and C)||Department of Hydrology and MeteorologyContact: Dr. Rishi Ram Sharma, Director GeneralTelephone No.: (977-1) 425-6193Email: email@example.com|
|Total project cost||$31.30 M|
|World Bank||$ 31 M|
|Government of Nepal||$0.30 M|
|The loan has a final maturity of 40 years, including a grace period of 10 years. The Service Charge payable by the Borrower is equal to one-tenth of one percent per annum.|
The components of the BRCH project are as follows.
|Components||Cost (USD Millions)|
|Institutional Strengthening, Capacity Building and Implementation Support of DHM||5.10|
|Modernization of the Observation Infrastructure and Forecasting||16.75|
|Enhancement of the Service Delivery System of DHM||3.45|
|Creation of an Agriculture Management Information System|
Status Update of Project Activities (31 Dec, 2017)
- Lightening Detection Stations have been installed at nine different locations (Tribhuvan International Airport, Tumlingtar Airport, Biratnagar Airport, Simara Airport, Bhairahawa Airport, Pokhara Airport, Nepalgunj Airport, Surkhet Airport and Dhangadhi).
- Final report on Development of Institutional Framework and Organizational Structure of DHM has been submitted to DHM as per GoN acceptable format by consultant (HURDEC). The activity has been completed.
- Regarding Need Assessment, Design and Air Quality Monitoring Network Sustainability under Development of Needs Assessment and Design of Air Quality Monitoring Network activity, consultant has submitted the final report.
- For Supply, Delivery and Installation of Equipment for ICT Infrastructure and Management, consultant (Max International, Nepal) has installed all the equipment under this package at National Information Technology Center (NITC), Singhdurbar.
- Reconstruction & Refurbishment of DHM Office Building(ICB No: PPCR/DHM/W/ICB-10) is going on. The contractor (Danfe and Samanantar J/V) has completed piling and raft foundation works of tower-III. Simultaneously, tower erection work of tower- I & II is going on. Overall progress of building construction is 33% of total work. Site specific ESMP has been revised and compliance monitoring is being conducted regularly.
- DHM has signed the contract agreement of Upgrading of Surface Meteorological Network (Supply, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning) with MicroStep-MIS, spol. S.r.o. LC has been opened and equipment have already been arrived at Kathmandu airport which in the process of custom clearance. Environment and social requirements for each station are under way and will be completed before starting the installation activity.
- DHM has signed the Contract agreement of Technical Re-equipment of Hydrological Network and Special Equipment for Hydrological Stations (Supply, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning) with Real Time Solution (RTS) Pvt. Ltd. J/V Waves Group Pvt. Ltd. DHM has handover installation equipment to RTS and Wave Group after completing store entry. Environment and social requirements for each station are under way and will be completed before starting the installation activity.
- Upper-Air Radiosonde contract agreement has been signed with MSI-GRAW JV and the bidder has submitted the implementation work plan to DHM. Contractor has endorsed all the equipment of Upper Air Radiosonde in DHM store section which has already been handed over back to SI-GRAW JV.
- Regarding Legal and Regulatory Framework for DHM Operation, MoPE/DHM had shared concept paper to Ministry of Health (MoH), Ministry of Finance (MoF), Ministry of Irrigation (MoI), Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation (MoTCA) and Ministry of General Administration (MoGA) for their consent as advised by Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs (MoLJPA). Once getting the responses from ministries, MoPE sent the document to MOLJPA requesting for approval. DHM has received approval from cabinet for preparation of draft bill. Now, consulting firm has submitted Draft Bill, Regulation and SoP to DHM.
- Regarding establishment of Weather Radar (Design, Supply, Installation and commissioning) in Surkhet, contract has been signed with Enterprise Electronics Corporation (EEC), USA on 27th June, 2017. Contractor has submitted revised soil test report of tower installation site, Ratanangla. Revised design has been received and it is in review. DHM (Mid & Far Western Climate Office) has contracted with B/C Construction to construct approach road and work has already been started.
- For the procurement of High Power Computer for NWP, bid notice has been published on 12 Dec, 2018 and bid will be opened on 29 Jan, 2018.
- “End to End FEWS in Koshi and West Rapti Basins to Support and Strengthening Disaster Risk Management” is going on. The consultant has submitted second progress report on 5 Nov, 2017.
- For preparing National Framework for Climate Services and Sectoral Work Groups, it is in the process of re-advertising.
- Contract agreement on ICT Infrastructure and Data Management Consultant has been signed with consulting firm (Real Time Solution Pvt. Ltd) on 17 Oct, 2017. Real Time Solution, under the guidance of DHM is taking care of the system of ICT Infrastructure and Data Management at NITC, Singhdurbar.
- Contract agreement has been signed with consulting firm (Genesis Consultancy Pvt. Ltd.) on High Resolution Digital Elevation Model (DEM). Consultant has submitted monthly progress reports on DEM and image delivery metadata report. SI and DHM/PMU are reviewing the reports.
- Evaluation of Technical Proposal on Development of Cost Recovery System/Business Model of DHM for Aeronautical Meteorological Services has been completed.
- DHM is in the process of re-publishing EoI notice for Training Course for Aeronautical Meteorological Forecasters to cover ICAO (Annex 3) and WMO(BIP-M) requirements; and Training Course for Aeronautical Meteorological Observers to cover ICAO (Annex 3) and WMO (BIP-MT).
- EoI received for Implementing and Commissioning of High Resolution Local Area Numerical Weather Prediction System at DHM are under evaluation.
- DHM has issued RFP for Development of Needs Assessment and Design of Water Quality and Sediment Monitoring Network to first ranked consulting firm (Deltares-The Netherlands).
- Bid notice for Snow, Glacier and Weather Monitoring Station Network was published soon on 28 Oct, 2017. Bid has been opened on 21 December and received bid is under evaluation.
- Bid notice for Hydro-Meteorological Workstation and Automated Production System was published on 27 Sep, 2017. Bids have been opened on 29 November and received bids are under evaluation.
- EoI notice for Development and Operationalization of Forecast Verification System has been published on 30 Dec, 2017 and bid will be opened on 12 Feb, 2018.
- No Objection Letter (NOL) on Cost estimate and Bidding document for procurement of Pilot Air Quality Monitoring Station (supply, installation and commissioning) has been received from WB and is in the process of bid notice.
- No Objection Letter (NOL) on Cost estimate and Bidding document for procurement of Establishment of Weather Presentation System (supply, installation and commissioning) has been received from WB and is in the process of bid notice.
- No Objection Letter (NOL) on Cost estimate and Bidding document for procurement of Establishment of Laboratory to Calibrate Meteorological Equipment (supply, installation and commissioning) has been received from WB and is in the process of bid notice.