Salient Features of the Project
|Grant / Loan Numbers||TF Loan 13557 & TF Grant 13665|
|Project Implementation Start Date||1 March 2013|
|Effectiveness Date||20 June 2013|
|Project Implementation End Date||30 July 2018|
|Expected Closing Date||30 Nov 2018|
|Borrower||Government of Nepal|
|Responsible Agency (for components A, B, and C)||Department of Hydrology and MeteorologyContact: Dr. Rishi Ram Sharma, Director GeneralTelephone No.: (977-1) 425-6193Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Total project cost||$31.30 M|
|World Bank||$ 31 M|
|Government of Nepal||$0.30 M|
|The loan has a final maturity of 40 years, including a grace period of 10 years. The Service Charge payable by the Borrower is equal to one-tenth of one percent per annum.|
The components of the BRCH project are as follows.
|Components||Cost (USD Millions)|
|Institutional Strengthening, Capacity Building and Implementation Support of DHM||5.10|
|Modernization of the Observation Infrastructure and Forecasting||16.75|
|Enhancement of the Service Delivery System of DHM||3.45|
|Creation of an Agriculture Management Information System|
Status Update of Project Activities (March, 2017)
- DHM has signed the Contract agreement of Reconstruction & Refurbishment of DHM Office Building (ICB No: PPCR/DHM/W/ICB-10) with Danphe and Samanantar J/V on 2nd February 2017. The contractor has started the excavation work at construction site. Contractor is doing the piling works and concreting of 110 nos of piles have been completed till 31st March 2017. IEE of the building has been approved. Site specific ESMP has been revised and monitoring works have been started.
- DHM has signed the contract agreement of Upgrading of Surface Meteorological Network (Supply, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning) with MicroStep-MIS, spol. S.r.o. Environment and social requirements for each stations are under way and will be completed before starting the installation activity.
- DHM has signed the Contract agreement of Technical Re-equipment of Hydrological Network and Special Equipment for Hydrological Stations (Supply, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning) with Real Time Solution Pvt. Ltd. J/V Waves Group Pvt. Ltd. Environment and social requirements for each station are under way and will be completed before starting the installation activity.
- For the intallation and operation of Upper-Air Radio Sounding contract agreement has been signed with MSI-GRAW JV and the bidder has submitted the implementation work plan to DHM. LC has been opened.
- For the purpose of organizational restructuring, DHM has hired a Consultant (HURDEC) and draft report on Development of Institutional Framework and Organizational Structure of DHM is being prepared as per GoN acceptable format.
- Regarding Legal and Regulatory Framework for DHM Operation, MoPE/DHM has shared Draft Bill Document to Ministry of Health (MoH), Ministry of Finance (MoF), Ministry of Irrigation (MoI), Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation (MoTCA) and Ministry of General Administration (MoGA) for their consent as advised by Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs (MoLJPA).
- Regarding establishment of Weather Radar (Design, Supply, Installation and commissioning) in Surkhet, Bid Evaluation has been been completed.
- For the procurement of High Power Computer for NWP, Bids are under evaluation.
- Regarding Need Assessment, Design and Air Quality Monitoring Network Sustainability under Development of Needs Assessment and Design of Air Quality Monitoring Network activity, consultant has submitted the final report.
- Contract Negotiation has been held with bidder on establishment of “End to End FEWS in Koshi and West Rapti basins to Support and Strengthening Disaster Risk Management”.
- Contract Negotiation has been held with consulting firm for National Framework for Climate Services and Sectoral Work Groups.
- For Supply, Delivery and Installation of Equipment for ICT Infrastructure and Management bid evaluation has been completed.
- Evaluation of EoIs for ICT Infrastructure and Data Management Consultant has been completed.
- EoIs for Development of Cost Recovery System/Business Model of DHM for Aeronautical Meteorological Services have been received and is under evaluation stage.
- DHM has published the EoI notice for Training Course for Aeronautical Meteorological Forecasters to cover ICAO (Annex 3) and WMO(BIP-M) requirements; and Training Course for Aeronautical Meteorological Observers to cover ICAO (Annex 3) and WMO(BIP-MT).
- DHM had published the EoI notice for Implementing and Commissioning of High Resolution Local Area Numerical Weather Prediction System at DHM
- DHM has republished EoI notice for Development of Needs Assessment and Design of Water Quality and Sediment Monitoring Network
- For the establishment of Snow, Glacier and Weather Monitoring Station Network, it is in the stage of bid notice publication.