Salient Features of the Project
|Grant / Loan Numbers||TF Loan 13557 & TF Grant 13665|
|Project Implementation Start Date||1 March 2013|
|Effectiveness Date||20 June 2013|
|Project Implementation End Date||30 July 2018|
|Expected Closing Date||30 Nov 2018|
|Borrower||Government of Nepal|
|Responsible Agency (for components A, B, and C)||Department of Hydrology and MeteorologyContact: Dr. Rishi Ram Sharma, Director GeneralTelephone No.: (977-1) 425-6193Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Total project cost||$31.30 M|
|World Bank||$ 31 M|
|Government of Nepal||$0.30 M|
|The loan has a final maturity of 40 years, including a grace period of 10 years. The Service Charge payable by the Borrower is equal to one-tenth of one percent per annum.|
The components of the BRCH project are as follows.
|Components||Cost (USD Millions)|
|Institutional Strengthening, Capacity Building and Implementation Support of DHM||5.10|
|Modernization of the Observation Infrastructure and Forecasting||16.75|
|Enhancement of the Service Delivery System of DHM||3.45|
|Creation of an Agriculture Management Information System|
Status Update of Project Activities (15 Oct, 2017)
- DHM signed the Contract agreement of Reconstruction & Refurbishment of DHM Office Building(ICB No: PPCR/DHM/W/ICB-10) with Danfe and Samanantar J/V on 2nd February 2017. The contractor has completed piling and raft foundation works of tower-II. Simultaneously, tower erection work (tower-I) and basement slab of tower-II is going on. Overall progress of building construction is 20% of total work. Site specific ESMP has been revised and compliance monitoring is being conducted regularly.
- Lightening Detection Stations have been installed at nine different locations (Tribhuvan International Airport, Tumlingtar Airport, Biratnagar Airport, Simara Airport, Bhairahawa Airport, Pokhara Airport, Nepalgunj Airport, Surkhet Airport and Dhangadhi). Now, consulting firm is in the stage of Site Acceptance Test (SAT) and Operation Test (OT) will start after completing SAT.
- DHM has signed the contract agreement of Upgrading ofSurface Meteorological Network (Supply, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning) with MicroStep-MIS, spol. S.r.o. Opening of LC is in process and FAT (Factory Assurance Test) of instrument has been completed. Environment and social requirements for each station are under way and will be completed before starting the installation activity.
- DHM has signed the Contract agreement of Technical Re-equipment of Hydrological Network and Special Equipment for Hydrological Stations(Supply, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning) with Real Time Solution (RTS) Pvt. Ltd. J/V Waves Group Pvt. Ltd. Installation equipments have already been arrived. Process of DHM store entry and handover to RTS and Wave Group has been started. Environment and social requirements for each station are under way and will be completed before starting the installation activity.
- Upper-Air Radiosonde contract agreement has been signed with MSI-GRAW JVand the bidder has submitted the implementation work plan to DHM. LC has been opened and FAT (Factory Assurance Test) of instruments has also been completed. Equipments of Upper-Air Radiosonde have been arrived at Kathmandu airport and MSI-GRAW JV is in the process of custom clearance.
- Final report on Development of Institutional Framework and Organizational Structure of DHMhas been submitted to DHM as per GoN acceptable format by consultant (HURDEC)
- Regarding Legal and Regulatory Framework for DHM Operation,MoPE/DHM had shared concept paper to Ministry of Health (MoH), Ministry of Finance (MoF), Ministry of Irrigation (MoI), Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation (MoTCA) and Ministry of General Administration (MoGA) for their consent as advised by Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs (MoLJPA). Once getting the responses from ministries, MoPE sent the document to MOLJPA requesting for approval. Now, MoPE is in the stage of sending proposal to cabinet for approval.
- Regarding establishment ofWeather Radar (Design, Supply, Installation and commissioning) in Surkhet, contract has been signed with Enterprise Electronics Corporation (EEC), USA on 27th June, 2017. Contractor has completed soil test at tower installation site, Ratanangla.
- For the procurement of High Power Computer for NWP, it is in the process of re-bidding
- Regarding Need Assessment, Design and Air Quality Monitoring Network Sustainability under Development of Needs Assessment and Design of Air Quality Monitoring Networkactivity, consultant has submitted the final report. The activity has been completed.
- DHM has signed contract agreement on “End to End FEWS in Koshi and West Rapti basins to Support and Strengthening Disaster Risk Management” with DHI- (India) Water and Environment Pvt. Ltd. in association with Institute of Water Modeling, Bangladesh & Consolidated Management Service, Nepal on 9th April, 2017. The consultant has submitted final inception report.
- Contract Negotiation failed with consulting firm for National Framework for Climate Services and Sectoral Work Groups. Now, ToR and cost estimate have been revised by SI and submitted to DHM.
- For Supply, Delivery and Installation of Equipment for ICT Infrastructure and Management, DHM has signed contract agreement with Max International, Nepal on 13th April, 2017. Server and other equipments of ICT have been arrived at TIA custom office.
- Contract negotiation has been held with consulting firm (Real Time Solution Pvt. Ltd) for ICT Infrastructure and Data Management Consultant.
- Technical Proposal forDevelopment of Cost Recovery System/Business Model of DHM for Aeronautical Meteorological Services has been completed.
- DHM is in the process of re-publishing EoI notice for Training Course for Aeronautical Meteorological Forecasters to cover ICAO (Annex 3) and WMO(BIP-M) requirements; and Training Course for Aeronautical Meteorological Observers to cover ICAO (Annex 3) and WMO (BIP-MT).
- EoI received forImplementing and Commissioning of High Resolution Local Area Numerical Weather Prediction System at DHM are under evaluation
- EoIs for Development of Needs Assessment and Design of Water Quality and Sediment Monitoring Network received and are under evaluation.
- Bid notice for the establishment of Snow, Glacier and Weather Monitoring Station Network, the will be published soon.
- Bid notice for Hydro-Meteorological Workstation and Automated Production System has been published on 27 Sep, 2017.
- Cost estimate and Bidding document for procurement of Pilot Air Quality Monitoring Station (supply, installation and commissioning, Contract ID No: PPCR/DHM/G/ICB-42) has been sent to WB for NOL.