Salient Features of the Project
|Grant / Loan Numbers||TF Loan 13557 & TF Grant 13665|
|Project Implementation Start Date||1 March 2013|
|Effectiveness Date||20 June 2013|
|Project Implementation End Date||30 July 2018|
|Expected Closing Date||30 Nov 2018|
|Borrower||Government of Nepal|
|Responsible Agency (for components A, B, and C)||Department of Hydrology and MeteorologyContact: Dr. Rishi Ram Sharma, Director GeneralTelephone No.: (977-1) 425-6193Email: email@example.com|
|Total project cost||$31.30 M|
|World Bank||$ 31 M|
|Government of Nepal||$0.30 M|
|The loan has a final maturity of 40 years, including a grace period of 10 years. The Service Charge payable by the Borrower is equal to one-tenth of one percent per annum.|
The components of the BRCH project are as follows.
|Components||Cost (USD Millions)|
|Institutional Strengthening, Capacity Building and Implementation Support of DHM||5.10|
|Modernization of the Observation Infrastructure and Forecasting||16.75|
|Enhancement of the Service Delivery System of DHM||3.45|
|Creation of an Agriculture Management Information System|
Status Update of Project Activities (July, 2017)
- DHM signed the Contract agreement of Reconstruction & Refurbishment of DHM Office Building(ICB No: PPCR/DHM/W/ICB-10) with Danphe and Samanantar J/V on 2nd February 2017. The contractor is doing piling works and concreting of raft foundation. Simultaneously, tower erection work is going on. Overall progress of building construction is 15% of total work. Site specific ESMP has been revised and compliance monitoring is being conducted regularly.
- Lightening Detection Stations have been installed at nine different locations (Tribhuvan International Airport, Tumlingtar Airport, Biratnagar Airport, Simara Airport, Bhairahawa Airport, Pokhara Airport, Nepalgunj Airport, Surkhet Airport and Dhangadhi). Now, consulting firm is in the stage of Site Acceptance Test (SAT) and Operation Test (OT) will start after completing SAT.
- DHM has signed the contract agreement of Upgrading of Surface Meteorological Network (Supply, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning) with MicroStep-MIS, spol. S.r.o. Opening of LC is in process and FAT (Factory Assurance Test) of instrument has been completed. Environment and social requirements for each station are under way and will be completed before starting the installation activity.
- DHM has signed the Contract agreement of Technical Re-equipment of Hydrological Network and Special Equipment for Hydrological Stations (Supply, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning) with Real Time Solution (RTS) Pvt. Ltd. J/V Waves Group Pvt. Ltd. RTS has submitted field visit report on Hydrological Stations. Environment and social requirements for each station are under way and will be completed before starting the installation activity.
- For the installation and operation of Upper-Air Radiosonde contract agreement has been signed with MSI-GRAW JVand the bidder has submitted the implementation work plan to DHM. LC has been opened and FAT (Factory Assurance Test) of instruments has also been completed.
- Final report on Development of Institutional Framework and Organizational Structure of DHMhas been submitted to DHM as per GoN acceptable format by consultant (HURDEC)
- Regarding Legal and Regulatory Framework for DHM Operation, MoPE/DHM has shared concept paper Document to Ministry of Health (MoH), Ministry of Finance (MoF), Ministry of Irrigation (MoI), Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation (MoTCA) and Ministry of General Administration (MoGA) for their consent as advised by Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs (MoLJPA). Responses from ministries have already been received. With the approval of minister, MOPE will send the same to MOLJPA for approval
- Regarding establishment of Weather Radar (Design, Supply, Installation and commissioning) in Surkhet, contract has been signed with Enterprise Electronics Corporation (EEC), USA on 27th June, 2017.
- For the procurement of High Power Computer for NWP, bids are under evaluation.
- Regarding Need Assessment, Design and Air Quality Monitoring Network Sustainability under Development of Needs Assessment and Design of Air Quality Monitoring Network activity, consultant has submitted the final report. The activity has been completed.
- DHM has signed contract agreement on “End to End FEWS in Koshi and West Rapti basins to Support and Strengthening Disaster Risk Management” with DHI- (India) Water and Environment Pvt. Ltd. in association with Institute of Water Modeling, Bangladesh & Consolidated Management Service, Nepal on 9th April, 2017. The consultant has submitted inception report on 12th May, 2017.
- Contract Negotiation failed with 1st ranked consulting firm for National Framework for Climate Services and Sectoral Work Groups. However, DHM has received NOL from World Bank (WB) for contract negotiation with 2nd ranked consulting firm.
- For Supply, Delivery and Installation of Equipment for ICT Infrastructure and Management, DHM has signed contract agreement with Max International, Nepal on 13th April, 2017. Consulting firm is in the process of importing the equipment from abroad.
- Evaluation of submitted technical proposal from 1st ranked consulting firm (Real Time Solution Pvt. Ltd) for ICT Infrastructure and Data Management Consultantis in final stage.
- Technical Proposal for Development of Cost Recovery System/Business Model of DHM for Aeronautical Meteorological Services has been received and is under evaluation.
- DHM has re-published the EoI notice on 2nd July, 2017 for Training Course for Aeronautical Meteorological Forecasters to cover ICAO (Annex 3) and WMO(BIP-M) requirements; and Training Course for Aeronautical Meteorological Observers to cover ICAO (Annex 3) and WMO(BIP-MT). Only one EoI documents has been received and is under evaluation stage.
- DHM has re-published the EoI notice for Implementing and Commissioning of High Resolution Local Area Numerical Weather Prediction System at DHM on 10th July, 2017.
- DHM has republished EoI notice for Development of Needs Assessment and Design of Water Quality and Sediment Monitoring Network on 6th July, 2017.
- For the establishment ofSnow, Glacier and Weather Monitoring Station Network, the bid notice will be published soon.